Monday, April 8, 2013

RESPECT AND RESPONSIBILITY

Just recently my brother and I took my dogs, Marley and Arthur, for a walk in town. We were heading for the nearby soccer field where we take the dogs to play fetch. Just before reaching the field we spotted a dog running lose around a house and on the sidewalk. We had no where to go as there is no sidewalk on the other side of the street, just a steep hill leading down to the river.

I love dogs, all dogs, but this has been an issue for me for as long as I can remember, as my older dog, Marley, does not deal well with other dogs. Because of mistakes I made with Marley when he was a puppy, due to some bad advice I took and things I neglected to do to boost his confidence, Marley is fearful and reactive around other dogs. It's something we have worked to correct for many years, but it is a constant challenge in our every day lives. So, just like many other people with reactive dogs, I take issue with people who cannot be responsible and contain their dogs outside their homes.

Just because your dog is okay with other dogs, does not mean the other person's dog is. This is unfair no only to the owner of the reactive dog, but also to any of the dogs involved and it could lead to a very traumatic experience for everyone. It is something that happens far too much. I have had countless experiences when I have been out with my dogs and have had someone else's dog come running up to us full throttle, while the owner, who is usually so far away they have to scream "he/she is okay, they are friendly", at me. I then have to scream back "but my dog isn't okay", but it is always too late, the "friendly" dogs have bombarded my dogs and chaos has ensued. Thankfully, we have always escaped these situations without disaster, but how does it affect Marley, or any of the other countless dogs who are reactive toward one thing or another?

It is every dog owner's responsibility to keep their dogs under control, whether they are on leash or off, walking in town, at a dog park or on a hiking trail. If you cannot call your dog back to you, he or she should not be off leash regardless of how "friendly" they are. You are just setting your dog up for failure by allowing him or her to run around and approach other dogs they do not know. Even another "friendly" dog may react poorly to another dog running up to him or her and no one can be 100% certain how their dog is going to react with every other dog, in every situation.

Every dog owner has a responsibility to be respectful of other dog owners and their dogs. It is unfair to everyone involved when dogs are running loose, especially in areas where people expect they can walk down the street, either with or without a dog, without being bombarded by an off leash dog.

Train your dog to come when called, especially if you want to allow your dog to run free. A solid recall may save his or her life in a number of situations. Be respectful and responsible, all of our dogs deserve it!

Join my Facebook Page @ https://www.facebook.com/PawsitiveWellness 

No comments:

Post a Comment