Saturday, April 6, 2013

LIFE WITH FELINES

With the exception of two dogs who lived with our family when I was young, I have only shared my home with dogs over the past 12 years. I have however rarely ever been without a cat in my life.

Although they were not seen as useful to humans until after hunters became farmers, unlike the dog, cats have a pretty heavy history for an animal who many people claim to this day, is of little use to humans. From being worshipped as gods and goddesses in Ancient Egypt, to enduring horrible abuse and condemnation from Christians due to their association as "familiars" to witches, and also being the brunt of superstitions and the omen of bad luck to many cultures all over the world; cats have made their way through history, into our hearts and homes.

I cannot remember a time in my life when I did not live with a cat and although I enjoy the joyful greetings and wagging tails of my dogs when I come home after a long day, nothing soothes like the purring of a cat curled up in your lap.

I have had a lot of conversations with people over the years who do not see the point in having a cat, the people who claim you just cannot bond with a cat on the same level as you can a dog. This statement is true in fact, the bond you share with a cat is completely different than the one you share with a dog, but that does not make it less valuable or less intense for those of us who understand and love felines, for what they are. 

Desmond Morris talks in his book "Catwatching", about the incredible way a cat can transform from a house pet, purring and rubbing up against his humans' leg, one minute, into the wild and untamed animal he once was in the time it takes his human to open the door and let him outside. Even a kitten who is only a few weeks old has the ability to transform into a hunter at the smallest movement of an object. I have always loved watching cats and have always found the many layers of their personalities fascinating.

Many people believe you cannot teach a cat like you can a dog. This however, as any cat lover knows, is false. I have had a number of cats who learned to play fetch, in fact I currently live with a tabby cat, whose name is Tabitha, who cannot get enough of the game. My stepfather taught his cat, an outdoor stray named Puss Puss, to shake a paw, in a matter of a few minutes. Taking some time to teach your cat a trick, to play fetch or even training your cat to go for a walk with you, are all great ways to bond with a feline companion. Of course if you get a cat and do nothing with him or her, just let them exist in your home and go about their business, it will appear as though they are not much for being trained to do anything. If however you decide to spend some quality time with your cat, you may find things are very different. In my experience of living with felines, they are more than willing and happy when their humans want to spend time with them. 

Tabitha "The Tabby"

Just like with dogs, cats love when you talk to them and this is another great way to maintain a strong bond with your cat. It doesn't seem to matter what cat comes into my life, they all love a good conversation and most even have something to add to the topic of discussion. When I talk to my cats they look me straight in the eye and begin to rub all over anything they can, they purr loudly and meow in various tones like they are putting in their two cents worth.

I have always loved the time I have with my cats. I find them amusing, fascinating and they bring me comfort. I could not imagine my life without a cat hanging about.

If you spend time talking to and playing with your cat, you will find a great friend in him or her. The loyalty of a dog comes easily for most, they are eager to be in our lives and happy to be our companions. Gaining the loyalty of a cat however is something that is earned, they could take us or leave us for the most part; but when you develop a bond with a cat things change and their loyalty is just as strong as any dogs'. 



No comments:

Post a Comment