Thursday, November 7, 2013

TRAINING FOR SAFETY

Training your dog is a great way to bond and build on your relationship. It is also a great way to exercise your dog's brain, build confidence, motivation, and most importantly, to keep your dog safe in all kinds of situations. There are many commands you can teach your dog to help ensure their safety. Making sure your dog has a solid recall and a solid "sit, stay", are commands that most dog owners know can potentially save their dogs' life. Teaching your dog "leave it" and "drop it", can be just as crucial to their safety.

Marley "leaving it"

When I walk my own dogs and especially when I am walking a client's dog/s, I am very vigilant about not allowing them to eat anything off the ground. There have been several reports in the past few months of people leaving tainted meat or meat containing glass or nails, in various parks where people walk their dogs. These sick individuals are leaving these tainted treats with the intent to do harm and it's unlikely they will ever be caught. Aside from these incidents, anyone who lives with a dog knows there is always a chance their dog may find some delicious (to the dog of course) morsel and give it a taste. Dogs with Coprophagy, who like to eat poop, are also at risk of becoming seriously ill or being infected with a parasite.  

Recently I was walking a client's dog, we stop for a few minutes every day at a large fenced in soccer field where I put him on a 30' lead and we run around and have some play time. The other day he picked something up off the ground and started eating it. I said "drop it" but he just looked at me and continued eating what I quickly found was a piece of hamburger. I was able to remove most of the meat from his mouth but he consumed a small portion, approximately the size of a dime. I left a note for my clients and thankfully their dog is fine, but with all the news articles in recent months about tainted meat I couldn't help but worry.

Teaching "drop it" and "leave it", for me, are essential commands every dog owner should teach their dog/s. You can have fun teaching your dog something new, if you haven't taught these commands already, and it very well may save your dog's life some day!


Join us on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/Pawsitivebonds



No comments:

Post a Comment